Saturday, February 20, 2010

What To Do, What To Do...

I like winter for a whole lot of reasons but none having to do with photography.  It's one of those fallow times of the year for me.  The winters here are a gray, and broody.  The perfect recipe for curling up on the couch with a good book and a hot cup of tea but not very interesting for photography.  But that's just me - I'm sure others will disagree with me and I'm alright with that.  Winter is just not my Muse.

The other day I went to the beach with Amar (my husband) and Bruce (my dog) and took more than few photographs of them, the beach, driftwood, the trees, boats, people, sand - you name it - if it stood still for me I shot it.  However, I was more than sorely disappointed when I downloaded them last night.  None of them excited me, matter of fact, they were downright boring (how can a beach be boring?).   I'm sure when I look at them again I'll see a few things that I missed and after a little (or a lot) post-photo editing there will be an an image or two that I like. 

I wish that weren't the case - I wish I could turn out a photograph that I liked "Straight Out of the Camera".  To me it would be fantastic to have developed my skills well enough to not have to rely on photo editing - it would make me feel like a "real photographer" and not someone who sort of "Forrest Gumps" her way through photography.  So, that will be a goal that I'm working towards - developing my skills.  Hopefully, I'll find a photography class that fits my schedule soon.  Until then I'll be perusing the photography tutorials on this blog "The Pioneer Woman Photography".  If her photographs and those who have participated in her tutorials are any indication of her ability to teach then pretty soon I'll be back at it with my camera turning out one stunning photograph after another. 

I'll keep you posted.  

No comments: